Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lead in the Golden Years or Thank Goodness for Modern Medical Technology or We just got a $200/month Raise


This is  a prostRate position. A position you want to take when you learn you are a candidate for prostate (no R)  surgery. 
The following picture is a prostate gland (the least explicite on I could find).  When you are 61, chances are your prostate gland will become enlarged.  This makes pharmacutical companies happy because the meds you have to take   (Avodart and Floxmax - frequently advertised) to allow you to void less often than every 30 minutes cost about $200/month.   Alas, these meds do not work when the prostate continues to get bigger.  So, Monday Lenny  went in to have prostate reduction surgery.  It is a fairly simple nonincisive proceedure. That is why I got a little concerned when the surgery went about an hour and half over schedule.  It turns out that while probing around, with a magnifying tool, they discovered a golf ball sized calcium deposit in the bladder.  The stone was just large enough to elude the grasp of the apparatus being used.  Four different instruments were used to try and remove it.  As a last resort they would have made an incision.  The doctor said, "I wasn't about to not remove it".  Thankfully, they were finally able to break up the stone and now Lenny can write his name in the snow or as the doc put it, " Pee like a race horse".   Lenny commented, "I wondered where I lost that ball."

6 comments:

Kori said...

I'm sure Lenny will feel like a new man....in a week or two!

Alice Faye said...

Ouch!!!

heidi said...

crazy. no wonder he couldn't pee.

Grammy said...

Holy Cow! The older I get, the more I know that getting older is NOT for the faint hearted. Glad it all went well and the Len is now able to . . . well . . . function properly?

Unknown said...

sounds like no fun- to answer your question, I AM SICK!

Ruby in the Rough said...

This is funny. I remember when Grandpa Owens had his prostate operated on. His medications made him silly.

I hope Lenny feels better!