Sunday, February 10, 2008

Picture Perfect

A family picture is a project. Find a time when the whole family will be together. That can be tricky with parts in Boise, North Salt Lake, and Hurricane (opposite ends of the spectrum). Find a photographer willing to work after 6:00 on Saturday night. Decide the dress code and color. i.e. casual, jeans, black and biege. Make sure everyone knows the address of the studio. Who will ride with who in what car. Make sure you take your cell phone to direct the car behind you and the one coming from the east part of town. Pay a $49.00 sitting fee. Get everyone situated on the set. Some will stand on phone books and some with arthritic knees will kneel on phones books. Try to get a sick baby to smile. Have kleenexes ready to wipe tears. Make all kinds of ridiculous noises to make the baby smile. After numerous shots amidst sarcastic comments about not being photogenic the photographer thinks he may have gotten a "good one." A few days later look at the electronic proofs. There is not a really "good one" of everyone. So through the magic of modern photo technology, the one smiling baby image is superimposed on the best picture of the smiling everyone else. And what a bargin! It only costs $30.00 to superimpose the baby and $25.00 to change the blue shirts to black. Two hundred dollars later you have a perfect family picture. It was worth the effort! We will not be all together again for two years.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

oh la la - not bad and WAY better than I expected!

heidi said...

isn't it amazing after all that! Not bad if i do say so myself.

heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grammy said...

Beautiful photo. What a pain in the butt the get all that arranged, but well worth it. I love the ones my kids send of the grandkids, and that is an equally taxing job. You have one great looking family. "Definitely an improvment over the old stock" - isn't that whad Dad always says?

julie said...

Family pictures are priceless! The last one I have of my family all together is truly priceless to me. When I had Ava I made a goal to have a family picture taken every year and I have done it. I wish I had more of my family all together, so I wanted to make sure she wouldn't have to worry about that. I think it is important even with just the two of us.

Unknown said...

I love it. Sometimes when I look at pictures we have taken I hate them because I remember how hard they were - but noone else knows that part and they love them! You guys are awesome:) Now imagine taking a family picture with 93 people- that is what we did for Ryan's grandparents birthday last June (40 of the people were 10 or younger:)