Saturday, March 1, 2008

...and also see that ye bridle all your passions



And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.

(Doctrine and Covenants Section 61:17)

Americans across all age groups, genders and races are getting fatter. A full 66 percent of U.S. adults were overweight or obese in 2003 and 2004, and if the trend continues, 75 percent of U.S. adults will be overweight by the year 2015. As well, sixteen percent of U.S. children and adolescents are overweight and 34 percent are at risk of becoming overweight, according to federal government figures. (Yahoo News, July 18, 2007)

Obesity, despite assertions by critics, is becoming the norm. It is likely to continue to increase, and if nothing is done, it will soon become the leading preventable cause of death in the United States, say researchers.


I have recently discovered this great healthy treat! EDAMAME

Edamame is a green vegetable more commonly known as a soybean, harvested at the peak of ripening right before it reaches the "hardening" time. The word Edamame means "Beans on Branches," and it grows in clusters on bushy branches. To retain the freshness and its natural flavor, it is parboiled and quick-frozen. In East Asia, the soybean has been used for over two thousand years as a major source of protein. Edamame is consumed as a snack, a vegetable dish, used in soups or processed into sweets. As a snack, the pods are lightly boiled in salted water, and then the seeds are squeezed directly from the pods into the mouth with the fingers.

Calories
125.0
Protein
12.1
Carbohydrates
13.1
Fat
3.6
Ash
1.7
Calcium
9.3
Phosphorus
180.0
Iron
2.7
Sodium
5.0
Vitamin A
130.0
Vitamin U1
0.31
Vitamin C
40.0


5 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture makes me NEVER want to eat again! They have those wonderful snacks at Costco. I always contemplate getting them, now you talked me into it.

The Skinners said...

Wow that picture is unreal. I think I will go have some salad or something!

heidi said...

Yuck. That picture makes me not even want to pull up your blog page, especially while at work. Its amazing how many people are not just over weight but obese.

Grammy said...

I happen to have those green things in my freezer, though I have not yet tried them. I think I will now. I found a really cute picture of you and me taken in 1987. We were both young, beautiful and VERY THIN!

LaRue Skinner said...

.... and their belly shall become their God...La